Breastfeeding

Saturday, July 30, 2011

crafty mattie

For some reason, this summer I have had the desire to be more crafty than usual. I've wanted to make and bake a lot of things and ideas keep running amok in my head.

It started with G-unit's room and continued on with the "boys'" bathroom. (Which sounds strange to say - "boys" - plural.)

I actually started preparing the bathroom first because I had a better grasp of what I wanted to do. I had seen some cute ideas on Esty and really liked the "wash, brush, flush" items. We already had a toothbrush holder for E that had an underwater motif and I wanted to stick with it. While wandering around Hobby Lobby, my favorite crafty store, I saw a cute (and pre-painted) crab, whale, and octopus. I grabbed one of each, some wooden plaques, new paintbrushes, and white acrylic paint.
stencils created
laid out on painted wood
words painted from stencil
hubby taking photo of me workingtah-dah!Then I took on making canvas paintings of G-unit's name to put up in his room. I will show you ONE of the letters and will post photos of the rest once he's here.
stencil on canvas
finished painting on canvas
hung in his roomFinally, I'm working on another canvas painting for G-unit's room. I had a really hard time deciding what to do, so I just decided to work around the colors that are in the stripes of his bedding. I started by taking a vinyl wall art tree found on Etsy as the basis of my art. I created an outline of a tree with brown cardstock (although you could use anything, even newspaper) and traced it on the canvas. Then I made stencils for the leaves - one larger than the other - and traced them as well.
inspiration
tree stencil out of card stockleaf stencilspencil outlinestree painted, colored squares used for marking leaf colors
halfway there
photographer hubby while I'm at worktah-dah! (color is off, I'll post another when it is hung)

3 comments:

SuperAYLA said...

so crafty! Love the tree, great job!

lizadances said...

When Chris and Alexis have their babies I am hiring you. Or paying you in wine and chocolate. You are so artistic. I am so proud of you!

Mattie said...

Thanks!