Breastfeeding

Thursday, July 8, 2010

This past week

In all the hoopla of our new sleeping plan, I have failed to mention any real updates of our family.

I'll start with a funny one. Last night, Paul was removing Evan's diaper in the family room so he could put on his swim diaper. As he took it off, something fell to the floor. What was it? Poop. Lots of poop.

As a matter of fact, he pooped while taking his bath last week too. He's just full of poop. Sometimes he goes 3-4 times a day. I'll change his diaper and about 10 minutes later, I have to change it again.

We didn't do too much over the 4th of July weekend, just went to a bbq at a friend's house, another at my mother-in-laws, and hung out at home. I didn't get to see fireworks except for the photo that Paul texted me (I was in Evan's room getting him to bed). There was a fireworks show on the 3rd at the golf course near our home, so Paul was able to see them from our backyard. I was able to hear them popping in Evan's room.

Evan is now running all over our house. He barely plays with any of his toys unless either Paul or I are playing with them. Not that he doesn't like them, but he'd rather run around the house, opening and closing things, pulling out plastic food storage containers, plastic cups, and always having something in his hands while he roams the house.

He's definitely babbling a lot more. I feel as though it really started right around the time the sleep shuffle did.

He still loves to push buttons, like the ones on the dishwasher (although he doesn't turn it on), on his Kawasaki bike that Grandma Hallinan bought him, and on his activity center.

I've been trying to get him to drink whole milk since about the time he turned one. He'd take a few sips, but never really liked it. After speaking to my friend, Andrea, she mentioned to me that her son was the same way. She was told to try soy milk. BINGO! Evan LOVES soy milk. Although it doesn't have the same fat content, so you have to make sure he gets it another way, like cheese, yogurt, and avocados.

I've also gotten Evan to FINALLY drink from a sippy cup. He's been against them from the start and instead he's been drinking from a regular cup. My friend, Valerie, gave me a Arizona Cardinals sippy cup for Evan's birthday. I removed the "no spill" guard from inside and PRESTO! He took it! It's the only one he drinks from so I have to wash it every day.

We've added the soy milk to his diet along with watermelon, quinoa (not a fan of it), potatoes, turkey sausage, and ham. We still try to get him to eat eggs and he is still disgusted by them...even the whites. I made "french toast" for him to see if I could get him to eat eggs that way because he loves bread so much. Turns out, he decided to vomit his breakfast after his morning nap that day.

As for Paul and I, we're doing ok. Paul is still working and sometimes working late. He's so happy in our new home and the area in which we now live. I start school in a week and a half and the more I think about it, the more emotional I become.

In fact, I'm dreading going back. Now that Evan is older and doing so many new things each day, I hate the thought of missing it all when I go back to work and start my masters classes again. The other night Paul said how it's too bad they won't give him a $50,000 raise so that I can stay home. Maybe someday...

3 comments:

The Richardson's said...

Yeah- it sucks being poor!! We gave up buying a new house and having 2 cars so I could stay home.

Some days, I wonder why...but mostly I think it has been a good decision, haha.

Sorry you have to go back to work- but at least you won't have to deal with the stress of nap time anymore. that will be nice!

JJ Mom said...

Hey Mattie,
Sadie will not eat eggs unless we put ketchup on them. It happened by accident, but maybe Evan would like them with ketchup.

Valerie Ann said...

of course he loves the Arizona Cardinals sippy cup the best! Who wouldn't?!