Breastfeeding

Sunday, July 25, 2010

so...

Evan is now dancing! Since we've been listening to his music nonstop, he's how begun to sway back and forth as we listen. Its adorable and it just makes me laugh. He's so stinking cute! I'll try to capture it on video and post it.

Here I go back to my sleep concerns (I know...they're neverending):

I am so thankful that he is now getting a solid stretch of sleep. We've been waiting some time now! Soon after, he began waking at 5 am. That turned into 4:45, then 4:30, then 4:15, then 4:00, and now...3:45. We would wait to go get him until at least 5, but lately, he just cries and doesn't go back to sleep. I wondered if he was still hungry, so the past two days I went and gave him a little "snack". The first time, he screamed when I left and slept a little on and off till 6. Today, he cried when I left, stopped quickly after, fell asleep and slept until just before 5:30.

So my question is...why is he waking up earlier and earlier? Should I not feed him? Should I go back to the shuffle, wait in the hall, and shush him until he falls asleep (or not).

I hate to think that he's only sleeping 9 hours at night - he's so tired in the morning. I can't remember the last time he woke up without crying.

5 comments:

The Richardson's said...

For the record- I have no idea. Babies and sleeping is just plain annoying. BUT here are my humble suggestions.

I think as long as you do whatever works best every time and be consistent, things will get better.

If shh-ing and shuffling worked to get him to sleep longer stretches, do that every time. No matter what, be consistent.

Matthew has had times when he wakes up in the middle of the night. When I do something different, I make it worse. When we go in and follow our plan- he gets back on track sooner.

Matthew is an early riser and went through a 5am phase for a long time. We did the dramatic wake up and gave him some cereal or a small snack after getting him up. (I didn't want him thinking that early wake-ups mean earlier and earlier breakfast. Breakfast is always at 7:30am.

It took him for-ev-er (said with the Sandlot enunciation) to sleep a bit later, but now he makes it to 6-6:30am. Breakfast is still at 7:30am and we still do a dramatic wake up. But it is not always perfect and we just try and be parent robots.

Josh and Jenni said...

So I am not going to pretend I know the magic answer, because I am figuring this thing out right along with ya sista! But what is he routine during the day? I found that M was sleeping all weird when she wasn't napping or eating very good during the day. It seems counter intuitive, but now that she naps two times a day for two hours each (and pretty much eats snacks and milk the entire time she is awake), she sleeps about 11 hours at night. 8pm to 7am-ish... Crazy, I know. She still has what I think are nightmares every once and a while. But then I go in, give her the pacifier and rock her back to sleep. I don't know, but maybe altering his daily schedule will give you a better night time schedule.

Ashley Majorek said...

I am for sure not a pro at this at all but here's a suggestion and what we do during the night...

I was thinking that maybe he's having a hard time w/ you leaving and his schedule being somewhat re-arranged---Maybe have your mom write down what time he eats, sleeps etc. for a week then evaluate and make any changes.

Like Jenni said he could be sleeping/playing at weird times and may need it more structured or even changed up a little.

Our boys are early risers too. They go to sleep by 8pm and wake about 5:30/6:00am.

Every so often they wake during the night screaming (I think Jenni's right w/ it being nightmares) and we give them their pacifiers, but we never pick them up and they go back to sleep. I also agree w/ Sarah about being consistent, our boys do great when we are.

With that being said, there are some nights that they scream and scream and we'll end up feeding them--this usually happens when they are transitioning to eating more at meal time.

The boys normally sleep only 9 hours, but they wake up really happy in the mornings so I guess 9 hours works for them. I think they could definitely (and I'd like them to) sleep until 7am but between pooping and one waking up the other, they're both up usually by 6am!

They are definitely eating more and lately I've been making sure they have "snacks" between meals. They seem to sleep better when they are full.

I hope that some of our ideas/thoughts help!

JJ Mom said...

HI Mattie,
I am wondering what time Evan goes to bed. Sadie wakes between 5:30 and 6AM every day. It does not matter if she goes to bed at 6PM or 9PM- she is still up by 6AM. I am wondering if Evan's internal alarm is just super early.
We put Sadie to bed between 6-6:30PM. For awhile we always had her in bed at or before 6.

Have you tried an earlier bedtime? Just a thought. :-)

Mattie said...

Thanks everyone.

Evan is pretty much on the same schedule everyday. He doesn't eat at EXACTLY the same time (for example: not 11:30 on the dot, but around that time). He is in bed around 6:30, and asleep before 7. I've noticed that if we put him down sooner, he sometimes wakes up sooner. :( I know he's only getting between 9-10 hours of sleep and I just hate seeing his little eyes get so red after not being awake that long.

I often wonder if we should put him down before 6 or if its too early or if that will just make hime wake at 3:00.

The other day he slept until 6:20 after being awake for an hour and then today he was up at 5.

I just don't know...