Breastfeeding

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weaning

I think we're making some great progress! E nursed for about 20 seconds on Sunday and today he asked to nurse again. I had told him that once G had finished he could have some. I was hoping that he'd forget or become distracted by something else. However, once G finished he said to me,"Baby finish, me have momma milk now." when I responded with "in a little bit", he said, "baby finish, momma say me have milk". Yes, my child not only remembered what I said, but quoted me! When I said he could nurse, I asked if he remembered and he said yes. But when he went to nurse, there was a little hesitation, when he usually goes in as though he's about to devour me. He latched on, but very lightly, I counted to 10, but I don't think he actually had any milk. Either way, I think we're heading in the right direction!

3 comments:

The Richardson's said...

Isn't it crazy how quickly they forget how to latch? It is amazing to me that after YEARS of doing it, it is gone in a few days.

Hooray!

Mattie said...

It does amaze me. I was telling Paul how he latched, but it didnt seem like he really "latched on", but more of just put his mouth on. I don't think he even sucked at all!

I also thought of be way more upset about him weaning, but I'm rather enjoying it. Probably because it wasn't forced, right?

The Richardson's said...

TOTALLY.

I thought I would be a mess when Matthew weaned...but I was totally fine. I think it is because he did it himself, when he was ready. It was not forced- just time to grow up a bit.

I was very happy. Not that I don't love Bf...but it is a lot of work and it is nice to be done.