I've noticed that my legs are getting restless and they start to tingle when I sit for a while. Paul and I also attended a breastfeeding class last night. I learned a lot and was refreshed with information too. But I still wonder...they say that it shouldn't be painful and you shouldn't get sore because if you do, that means that the baby isn't latching on correctly. Then why does everyone I talk to say that it hurts!?! I am comforted by the fact that St. Joe's has three lactation consultants on duty Monday-Saturday. They will definitely be summoned once Evan arrives!
Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. He now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. He's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered his body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected his skin during his nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of his first bowel movement.At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely he's in a head-down position. YAHOO!
1 comment:
In our culture we don't grow up watching women breastfeed all the time, and there's a sharp learning curve, so most women have problems early on. Make good use of the consultants early and often and don't let it go when you feel pain. It will most likely not self-correct. If your nipple becomes damaged from an incorrect latch it will take even longer to fix the problem as you try to heal while you correct. If needed, pay for help, but you should receive ample help from the hospital, and you can always contact your local La Leche League. It's worth it!
Post a Comment