Breastfeeding

Sunday, April 3, 2011

hypnobirthing, class #1

Saturday was our first HypnoBirthing class. Since I'm planning on having a natural birth with this little guy, I knew that I would need something to help me prepare. We were given a brief synopsis of what HypnoBirthing is all about. Basically, you use relaxation/visualization/meditation to get yourself into a semi-hypnotic state. You're completely awake and aware, but you allow your body to do what it was meant to do. In this way, you are able to remove the negative associations with childbirth.

We were given the HypnoBirthing book, some handouts, and a cd to listen to each night before bedtime. We watching some birth videos that were pretty amazing. No screaming. No yelling. No pain. These women were calm, in control, and enjoying the births of their children. One woman even delivered her son in the back seat of a moving Suburban.

One major change to learn is the language. HypnoBirthing doesn't use the same vocabulary that the "medical" world does. For example:

contraction = surge
birth canal = birth path
complications = special circumstances
pushing = birth breathing
pain = pressure/sensation/tightening
coach = birth companion

Even the words sound better!

Of course, I have fears because of my experience with Evan. I'm afraid that I will end up needing a c-section again and will feel like I did all this for nothing. I'm afraid that I won't be able to relax/calm/control myself to have a natural birth. I'm afraid that I will ask for an epidural. I'm afraid that I will let myself down.

I've started reading to book and it has opened my eyes to a view of birth that I wish I had known before. I am excited to write a birth plan, release my fears, talk to my doctor about my requests, and end up with a new little boy to join our family.

Here's to looking forward to our next class!

*Our instructor, Lisette, gave us each a pin. I really like it, so keep in mind what it says when you see/speak to me.

5 comments:

The Richardson's said...

Glad you liked it. I think that preparing for the birth this far in advance gives you the best possible outcome. Especially when planning a no drug delivery. Everyone I know who has had a drug free birth, says you have to prepare ahead of time to get your mind ready for it...so you are already doing that!

Can't wait to hear more!

Mairi said...

You're doing a fabulous job. Every time I've thought of a piece of advice to give you, you're one step ahead of me. The more you prepare, the more confident you'll become and as the day draws near, all your leftover fears will be replaced by a peace of knowledge that you've done everything within your control. If you like it, maybe I'll try Hypno-Birthing next time. We did Bradley for the VBAC but my husband got sooo bored, we quit halfway through and I just did pre-natal yoga instead!

Josh and Jenni said...

I think this is so cool! I would have the same fears if I was giving birth again. Good luck!! I know it will be great!

Ashley Majorek said...

I'm so glad you are liking it...I had a friend who swore by it and did it with both of her kids!!

Anonymous said...

I love this so much, Mattie. I am so proud of you! It will be a beautiful birth. I know it.