Breastfeeding

Monday, April 4, 2011

bye-bye milk?

The past few nights, E has been asking for Dada and a cup of milk. Well, he doesn't necessarily want Paul to put him to sleep (or maybe he does), but he wants Paul to bring him milk. He will nurse for a bit, then drink milk, nurse some more, drink more milk, etc.

Tonight, I kept asking for milk when I put him into his crib and said good night. As I started walking away, he began to cry. Paul went in a few minutes later with a new (1/4 full) cup of milk. E didn't ask to be picked up, so Paul handed him the milk, and E laid down in bed. A few minutes later, he was asleep. With his cup held to his chest.

Maybe my milk is running out.

Sometimes when he nurses, he will stop, wave goodbye to my chest, and sign "milk". When I ask him if it's all gone, he says "yes".

It makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy because I wasn't sure if I would want to tandem nurse, it's getting to be quite painful, and because I would hate to have to forcibly wean him. Sad because I so much enjoy nursing him. I love nursing him. I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

I guess we'll see how it goes. Maybe it's time to have a cup of milk every night instead of or in addition to Mommy.

2 comments:

The Richardson's said...

Sadness. BUT super good that it is happening slowly and that E seems okay with Paul bringing him milk and going to sleep on his own. It will feel good to you knowing it happened naturally, slowly and without trauma!

I know I was super sad, but also at peace with it. AND just think...you will have a new little cuddle bug to nurse soon!!

Mairi said...

You're a BF rockstar, BTW. I've been so impressed by what you've accomplished. You have great instincts and you're smart enough to listen to them. What lucky kiddos!