Breastfeeding

Sunday, August 9, 2009

7 weeks

Evan turned seven weeks old on Thursday. We've had quite an eventful week.
Take one...

Take two...


Monday was my first day back to work and it's been (to say the least) difficult. I'm no longer able to play with, nurse, and hold my sweet boy all day and every day. After work is over, I pump and pack up my things so that I can leave at 3:30. Mornings have become more difficult as well. Evan likes to wake at 5:00-ish to nurse and I have my alarm set at 5:30, so there's no real point in going back to sleep. Paul (and I) have come to realize that he can't sleep in until his alarm goes off either. Once I'm in the shower, he's on baby duty so that I can get ready until my mom comes. It's actually very helpful that Paul's up, but I wish that he could sleep more too. At work, I now need to somehow get more accomplished while I'm there a shorter amount of time. I don't want to go in early or stay late because all I want to do is be at home. My breaks are now spent pumping instead of prepping. I have had a lot of parents offer to help out making copies and grading, so I'll definitely need to take advantage of them.

Evan keep growing as he should. We have his two month appointment coming up next week. He's spending more of his alert/awake time on his tummy to help strengthen his neck muscles. Sometimes he likes it, sometimes he doesn't.




He outgrew newborn sized diapers a few weeks ago, so we're into size 1's now. I looked through his closet today to see what outfits he still hasn't worn so that he can at least wear them once before they're too small.

This weekend marked a great moment for Evan too. He fell asleep in the car seat without any crying or a pacifier in his mouth! Hooray! We've been reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. One of the things she says to do is to pull out the pacifier/nipple out of their mouths before they are completely asleep so when they wake up, they can still fall back asleep without it. We're still working on it, but I think it's making a difference! (Or it could be that he did it these two times and it will never happen again!)

2 comments:

The Richardson's said...

cute! that is a good book. We also have the sleep lady book (a gentler book without using CIO) if you need some more suggestions.

I have read every stupid sleep book and taken parts I have liked from all of them.

Sorry it has been hard going back to work. I can't even imagine! You should make the parents help! Especially if you have offers...that way you can get home sooner : )

hope it gets easier for you!

Josh and Jenni said...

I am sure it is so hard to go back to work. I start next week (Thurs) and I am not happy about it at all. He is so adorable!! Good luck with the no paci and sleeping thing. Madelyn still needs that too. These babies are hard work!