Paul and I attended our childbirth class today. I have to say that I though I was pretty well informed from reading and watching lots of baby shows on t.v. I was wrong. There is so much more to know! We also were lucky enough to have a mini car seat class given to us by a professional car seat installer lady. After the class, the nurse who was teaching offered to give us a tour of the labor & delivery floor and the recovery/couplet floor. Such as...
#1. When you have an epidural, they also insert a catheter into your bladder since your lower body is numb and you can't get up to use the bathroom.
#2. If your water breaks and it's green it means the baby has pooped.
#3. You shouldn't really have anything in the car seat (like cushions/comfy head things) that do not come with the car seat because they haven't been crash tested with the car seat.
#4. The safest place for the car seat is in the middle of the rear seat.
#5. I need to eat before I get to the hospital because I won't have food till the baby comes out.
#6. Hospital rooms aren't all that great looking. (So I already knew that, but it was a reminder!)
#7. What exactly effacement and station means.
#8. Once I'm at the hospital I need to ask when I can get an epidural and how long it will take to get one!
#9. There is a lactation nurse at St. Joe's!
#10. That Paul is going to be an excellent labor/delivery coach.
1 comment:
1. you won't feel them insert the catheter. I was super freaked about that.
5. Don't eat anything too heavy. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. it is the hardest thing ever to go #2 after you push out a baby and you don't want to be backed up. Also, if you eat heavy, it will increase your odds of going poo on the delivery table. eat, but eat light.
8. If you have decided on getting an epidural- get one as soon as you can. it gives you a chance to rest before pushing
9. lactation nurses are great!
glad you had fun! almost time...
Post a Comment