At G's 9 month well visit, the pediatrician was asking me questions about his development. I had mentioned that he wasn't crawling on hands and knees yet, but rather army crawling. In addition, I let him know that he tends to drag his left side and is stronger on the right. He made a note of it, but didn't say to worry.
Fast forward a few minutes to when the pediatrician is checking G's hips...the doctor let's out a "Hmm." When I ask what he's thinking, he says that G has a large crease on his right thigh that he doesn't have on his left. He proceeds to tell me that they look for symmetry between the two sides. The doctor continues to examine G and stretches his legs out. He tells me that his right leg looks a little longer than his left and shows me. He flips G over, but G just isn't having it. Nevermind that the appointment is taking place at naptime and G is hungry, so, no, it's not going over well with G.
Our pediatrician recommends that G gets some X-rays taken of his hips. The pediatrician says he just wants to make sure as to what's going on, but that if something were there, he may only need a brace and not surgery. Oh, thanks. That totally makes me feel less freaked out. He says that they recommend we go to Cardons Children's and that the office will call to schedule the X-rays.
I take G home and call Paul, who of course has a ton of questions that I never thought to ask our doctor.
After dropping G off, I head in to work and anxiously await a call from the pediatrician's office. Just after an hour of getting in to work, I get the call and they say we can take G in whenever we'd like. I tell my teammates (who are phenomenal) and they tell me to leave and just take care of it. When I go to tell my principal that I will be out the reminder of the day, she is completely understanding and agrees that I should leave.
On my way back home, I call Paul and he agrees to meet me at home so we can take G to Cardons together. G did exceptionally well while we waited and during the X-rays. He laid there quitely while I held his arms and Paul held his legs. We both had to wear lead jackets that went from neck to knee. I was also asked if there was any chance I was pregnant, to which I replied no. The nurse/technician was very kind and sweet. I'm thankful she was that way and not mean like the lady at admitting when we arrived. (That's another story.)
She told us that our doctor would call us in the next 24-48 hours with the results. That night (and day), Paul and I have already been Google-ing hip dysplasia and everything that goes along with it. From needing surgery after the child is 6 months old, to wearing a spica cast for three months, to needing to rent a car seat that fits the cast, to what life for him will be like if he's in a cast, and more...
We talked about it that night and prayed that he was ok, but I prepared myself for the chance that he wasn't.
The next day at work, I got a call around 10:45 from our pediatrician. He said that G's results came back normal. I was incredibly relieved and thankful and ecstatic. I called Paul and let him know the results. And again, he had a ton of questions that I never thought to ask. I pretty much told Paul that after the doctor said his results were normal, I stopped listening.
I'm so glad he's ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment