Breastfeeding

Saturday, June 19, 2010

ONE

Over the past few days, I've contemplated how to start this post. The wording I would use to start, the order in which I would write the events. I even wrote a quick outline as I was copying a cake recipe. But as I sit here now, it's all so much of a wonderful blur that I'm not quite sure where to start.

Evan is now a year old. He's ONE! So long babyhood, and hello toddlerhood!

I must say that I am so thankful I was able to spend his first birthday with him at home. ALL DAY. I'm also thankful that as a pre-birthday present to himself, Evan slept a 6 hour stretch with no wake-ups requiring us to get him back to bed!

Your birthday started with Daddy bringing you into our room (as usual) and nursing in bed. We then sang Happy Birthday to you. Then you and mommy did a birthday dance together. Daddy then had to get ready to go to work (but was able to go in late). You and I spent the day walking around the house, playing games, going on a quick trip to Target, and napping.

After your first nap, you had some mommy milk. I had been counting the hours and minutes until 10:11 (the time at which you were born). While you were eating, I happened to look at the clock. 10:11. I started crying. There is no place else I would have rather been, or could have ever planned to be, but sitting there holding you while you nursed. I didn't get to hold you right after you were born, but this made up for it as best as it could.

Aunt Emma and Uncle Jason stopped by to say hello in the evening. Once Daddy came home, it was time for bed. You had your bath and had a fussy time putting on pajamas. We tried to read part of Dr. Seuss's Happy Birthday to You, but you wanted nothing of it. So off the sleep you went. And then you were up every few hours at night.

Today, we met Aunt Emma bright and early to take some first year photos. Later on, we had some close friends and family come over to help us celebrate your birthday. I made you a no-sugar apple spice cake and no-sugar cream cheese frosting. You, cousin Benjamin (18 months), and Grandma Hopper seemed to be the only people who liked it. The cake itself was fine, the frosting...not so much. I made a red velvet cake with chocolate and vanilla frosting for everyone else. My talent friend (and former color guard student, Alison) made some Cat in the Hat characters for your cake. They were adorable! Many people were also surprised to find out that you have never had cake until today.

Grandma and Grandpa Hopper brought you special balloons with your name on them, too. You received lots of great gifts, including a zoo membership, toys, and clothes. I hope that you had a blast eating frosting, playing with bubbles and balloons, and spending time with ones we love.

I hope that you had a wonderful birthday, baby bug!

Evan's one year milestones:

-Babbling...finally! Your now saying buh buh buh, smacking his lips, and blowing raspberries. Every once in a while we hear a muh.

-Cruising. You like to use anything that you can to help you walk: walls, doors, people's fingers. You are also becoming even more brave and taking steps alone to get from one object to another. Every time you walk by yourself, you have the largest grin on your face. I love watching you and how proud you are of yourself. You also love to walk with something in our right hand. It doesn't matter what it is, but you typically will be holding something. Sometimes it's something large and heavy that you can't quite lift, but you get so upset when it gets in your way and you can't walk.

-Screaming. When you don't get what you want, you scream. It's not the most attractive thing, but we still love you.

-Eating. You would rather feed yourself finger foods and with a spoon, then have us feed you. You love to eat yogurt, Cheerios, and apples with chicken. We've also added wheat bread/pasta, egg whites (which you like!), blackberries, peas (which you threw up immediately after), tomatoes, cherries, and cream cheese. Right now you also have seven teeth: four on top and three on the bottom.

-Drinking. Sippy cups do nothing for you. A regular cup is what you prefer to drink from. I think we might try a cup with a straw and see how you do.

-Play. You like to take toys out of containers and put them back in. You're now also learning how to stack your blocks and other toys. This month you also discovered buttons inside the alligator to your play center. Pushing buttons is also something you still like to do, especially on our DirectTV receiver. Most of the day you spend walking around the house, opening and closing cabinet doors. You still love to read books. You've become especially fond of your My First Catechism book that Aunt Emma bought you. Playing chase with Layne is fun for you. You also like to pet him and when you do, it makes you so excited that drool comes pouring out your mouth.

-Nursing. You're not nursing as much as you used to. It makes Mommy sad. You know only tend to nurse in the morning, before naps, middle of the night wakings. You've also now decided to start putting your hands down Mommy's shirt to play and you like to play with Mommy while you nurse. In addition, you now have started saying "mmm" when you nurse for about the first 30 seconds. I guess Mommy's milk tastes good.

-Sleep. This is still and ongoing thing with us. You still wake several times a night. You take two naps during the day for about 1-1.5 hours, but you're still tired and just don't want to sleep longer.

Of all the things you do, I still love it when you smile. How I love your smile, baby bug. How I love you!

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” -Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

The Richardson's said...

What a wonderful couple of days for you all!

Be sure to print out this blog entry for Evan to have when he is big!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!