Breastfeeding

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Great Parenting Moment

Sometimes, I have to give myself a pat on the back as a parent and this is one of those times.

I've been sick this weekend and so have the boys. But we still had to go grocery shopping. 

We started off well, but it soon took a turn for the worse. 

I was in the produce section and around the aisle comes E, shortly followed by Paul and G. E starts to throw a fit because he didn't want Paul to follow him. E said he wanted to go back and do it over again, but he didn't want anyone to follow him.

He kept fussing and dropping down tithe ground. I gave him choices about what he could do, but it was not working. He wouldn't stop having a fit. 

After a few more attempts, I asked for the car keys from Paul and I told E we were going to leave.

He didn't want to go, so I picked him up (tears and all) and we went to go have a chat in some chairs near the deli. 

After talking to him about his safety an that he was too young to go around the store alone, I brought up Daniel Tiger (a show he likes to watch). We talked about how he has to "stop and listen to stay safe".

After a few minutes he settled down. He also told me that he was hungry and tired.

Ding, ding, ding!

No wonder he was having such a hard time. I took him out of the store, grabbed him a snack and then he was ready to go back. (We had left Paul and G to do the rest of the shopping.)

I just think of how I could have chosen to lose my patience and our outcome could have been so different. Granted, I was lucky to have Paul there do that I could take the time to chat with E. But I'm so glad I did it this way instead of losing it.

Go me! 

No comments: