Breastfeeding

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Cabin Fever

Paul's friend, Jake, offered us his cabin in Payson so that we could go when we'd like to get away.  Since Paul had taken off this week for my fall break from school, it seemed like the perfect time.  We packed up the kids and our things, then headed out of town for a few days.

The kids napped on the way and once we got into town, we stopped to buy some groceries. We arrived, unloaded, and just enjoyed playing in and around the cabin. They have this amazing porch swing that E and I liked to sit on.  Although E kept telling me to get up and push him.  We played hide and seek, looked for bugs and animals, and checked out some pine cones.  E also declared it Pine Cone Day.

The cabin also has a big loft area upstairs with some toys.  It was nice to be able to contain the boys up there knowing that they could play and be in a safe space.  Our friend's also have two little boys, so there were plenty of appropriately aged items for them to play with. They also have a little table near the kitchen that was a perfect height for both G and E.

We made some spaghetti for dinner and then it was time for G to get to bed.  Paul had set up a pack 'n play for him to sleep in.  It took a while for him to fall asleep and have him stay asleep in the pack 'n play.  While G was sleeping, Paul, E and I made s'mores in the fireplace. They were delicious.  I guess it's a good sign as a parent when your child would rather just eat the graham crackers and takes off the chocolate and marshmallows.

As Paul was getting E to bed around 7:30, G woke up.  I tried to get him to back to bed, but I was having a really difficult time.  He would fall asleep nursing or rocking in my arms, but any movement to put him down and he was awake.  I'd try to put him down awake and he's scream.  By 10:00, Paul was going to bed and I was still up.  Even Paul had tried with no avail.

Paul moved E into the room where G had been sleeping and Paul went to sleep in there too.  I tried to get G to sleep in the bed with me in the other room, but was unsuccessful. Around 11, I asked Paul to move the pack 'n play into the room with me. G kept falling asleep in my arms, but would wake and cry when I put him down.  There were attempts to let him cry it out, but I would just start crying too when he'd reach for me. I was about ready to strap on the carrier and sleep sitting up on the couch.  At 12:45 am, I went in to wake Paul to see if he could help.  I went to lay down in the room with E and I could hear G crying and screaming.  After about 5 minutes, I heard his cries lessen and then there was silence.  Ahhh....

I was then able to fall asleep.  It seemed as though I slept for 15 minutes before Paul came in to wake me and see if I could feed G.  This was at 3:00 am.  I was able to nurse him for a bit and then he rolled around and spooned with me before he fell asleep.

E awoke at around 6:00, which woke up the rest of us, G included.

That night made Paul and I decide to come home later that day.  We made some breakfast and then headed out for a morning nature walk.  Our friend, Jake, had given us directions to two small creeks that we could take the boys to, so off we went with fishing poles in hand!  As we were walking, Paul turns to me and tells me how there have been a high number of bear attacks in Payson this year.  Awesome.  So now I became paranoid and was on the constant look out for bears.
After our walk, we let the boys play in the loft while we packed up. It was getting close to nap time and melt downs were starting to occur, so we wanted to get out of there soon.  The plan was for me to drive around for a bit so that Paul could finish getting the cabin cleaned.  The boys were in the car, most of our stuff was packed, and when I turned on the car, we heard "click, click, click".  Our battery died. Paul went to search the nearby cabins to find someone to give us a jump.  I unloaded the kids and hurried to clean.

A nice woman came to give us the jump, we loaded the boys back in and we were off...to Big O Tires.  After about 15 minutes and $100 later, we were headed back into town.  Luckily, I had made sandwiches that morning (which we were supposed to take to the fish hatchery later that day) so we ate lunch in the car ride home.

It would have been nice to stay at the cabin longer, but we enjoyed the time that we did spend away from the hot Phoenix air.

No comments: