Today is Evan's five month birthday and what an exciting day it was! After work, I drove home to pick Evan up and take him with me to get my seasonal flu shot at Fry's. Evan fell asleep on the car ride there, but once we got to the store he woke up. I left Fry's around 5:15pm and we arrived home around 6:30pm. What took so long you ask? Well...#1. The Fry's I went to was on Rural and Southern, about 15 miles from home.
#2. Evan started crying at 48th St. and Southern, about 12 miles from home. Pit stop number 1 for nursing in the back of the car at the McDonald's.
#3. Evan became fussy again at 24th St. and Southern, about 9 miles from home. Pit stop number 2 for nursing in the back of the car in some neighborhood. This time after nursing he was wide awake.
#4. Evan cried the whole way home. Not really just crying...SCREAMING. Was I a good mommy and stop? No. I drove safely, but quickly the rest of the way. Did I give him a pacifier to help calm him? No. I didn't have one. I did try to let him suck my pinky finger, but he didn't want it.
By the time we got home, I hurried into the back, pulled him out of his car seat leaving everything in the car, hugged him and cried right along with my poor baby. And yes, we were still in the garage. But what's really interesting is that amongst this crying we headed into the house where Evan spotted Layne and then started to laugh. Really??! Is that all it takes to get him to calm down? Our dog?! I'm thinking I need to take Layne with me everywhere I go.
Even though his afternoon/evening was rough, this past month has been wonderful. Evan is still working on getting himself to roll from his back to his stomach (he's getting close), but he's able to roll (here and there) from his stomach to his back. He seems to do better when he's on the bed.

Evan loves to play with his daddy and laugh! They still like to chase Layne around the house and even go outside to enjoy the backyard together. Evan also loves to laugh when Layne licks him.
We're *trying* to implement a nighttime routine. We find that it's difficult to time it out correctly, but we know that it's beneficial for Evan to know when it's bedtime. He really enjoys getting his bath in the evenings. There were a few nights last week where Evan was able to sleep the whole night: once from 7:15pm-6:25am and another from 7:30pm-4:00am. Paul and I are still waiting for that to become a nightly thing!
Evan is really enjoying his Bumbo chair! He loves to sit in it and chew on toys. Our son has always enjoyed being in the upright position, so this is great for him!


He is still very drooly and puts everything into his mouth. I've been keeping my eye out for teeth, but there's nothing showing yet. However, he has been "biting" me while nursing sometimes. It's painful and the little guy doesn't even have teeth yet!

Paul and I are so thankful for having Evan in our lives. We are looking forward to celebrating the upcoming holidays with our little man and having time off of work to spend it with him!
Evan wanted to eat his "5 months" sign.

2 comments:
Every time I think I am getting the hang of the parenting thing- something like that happens to me and I have a meltdown.
The world's way of keeping you humble, I guess. Sorry you had a rough drive home.
I LOVE the picture of Evan eating his sign. Super cute!! Matthew always eats paper...
Two things:
1. We totaly have the same bouncy seat.
2. If I had a dollar for everytime I stopped to nurse Miss M in a parking lot I could pay for my indecent exposure ticket. :o)
You are a good mommy! I guess that is three things...
Post a Comment